Programme Specification for 2011/12
BSc (Hons) Business Computing
This programme is for those who wish to study modern computing within a business context to degree level.
The management of IT within the organisation, project management of computing projects, security issues in computer and business systems and the deployment of computing systems at an enterprise level form strong themes in this programme and it provides a good understanding of modern business organisations, structures and business functions and the role that computing and computing and information systems play in them. It helps students to understand how computer systems are developed and trains them to design and build these systems to meet real business needs. It also focuses on the integration of computer systems and their interaction with the business process.
This programme also helps students develop the personal and professional skills needed to communicate and work effectively with those around them, whether they are computing or business professionals. In addition, the broad-based approach allows a flexible learning experience as students can select individual courses in various related areas such as information systems and business-oriented computing.
What's the difference between ...
BSc (Hons) Business Computing and other computing programmes?
The following is an indication of current programme content. However, the rapidly changing nature of the subject area means that both the courses offered, and individual course content, are likely to change in future years. Finally note that certain combinations of options may not be available.
For details of timetabling and study patterns, see the timetables page. All courses are 30 credits unless otherwise stated.
- Introduction to Business Processes
- Computer Programming 1
- Systems Building 1
- Communication Systems 1 - 15 credits
- Computer Systems & Internet Technologies 1 - 15 credits
- Value Chain Management
- Organisation & Project Management
- Systems Building 2 or Computer & Network Systems
30 credits of options chosen from:
- Systems Building 2
- Computer & Network Systems
- Application Program Development - 15 credits
- Business Systems Applications - 15 credits
- Computer Programming 2 - 15 credits
- Database Applications Technologies - 15 credits
Optional Sandwich Year
For students who choose a sandwich degree, the third year is spent in industry or business on a fully paid work placement, which we help to arrange.
- A substantial individual project on a topic chosen by the student
- International Business
- Enterprise Business Systems Integration
- One further option - current options include Web Application Technologies, Modern Database Management, eTechnology, Management & Planning of IT, HCI & Interaction Design, Computing Education & Communications, Enterprise Systems Management & Security, Network Management & Security, System Building 3
This degree has full CITP accreditation from BCS - the Chartered Institute for IT, the body responsible for establishing and maintaining technical and ethical standards in the computing profession. This means that on successful graduation from this degree, you will have fulfilled the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional (CITP). However, please note that there are additional requirements, including work experience, to achieve full Chartered status - see the BCS website for further information.
Employment in many Business computing areas such as IT management and support, business computing consultancy, project management and internet and e-commerce applications.
This degree programme is based in the Department of Computing & Information Systems, School of Computing & Mathematical Sciences, Greenwich Campus, Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich, London SE10 9LS.
3 years full-time / 4 years sandwich / 6 years part-time
BSc (Hons) Business Computing - G402 BSc/BusC